Skip to main content

Translate

Have I Morphed Into A Power Rangers Fan?!?!


* This review contains spoilers for Power Rangers

I want to start off by saying that I did not grow up watching the Power Rangers. I attended the film with a friend who did, and she absolutely loved it.

I have to say, I was quite impressed by this picture.

My only knowledge of any Power Rangers content was the Nostalgia Critic's review of Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie. Thus, I went in with relatively low expectations, given that I didn't know anything about the story of the TV series.




That being said, when the film opened in a method similar to that of DC's Green Lantern, I was very afraid that this film would become the first negative review on the blog. Luckily, this was not the case.

The film clearly explains the origins of the characters who would ultimately become the Power Rangers. I was very happy to see that their ability to "morph" was not immediate, but rather required them to get to know and be connected with each other, leading to them gaining their abilities after giving everything to bring back Billy after Rita drowns him, a very bold and effective move in the narrative of the film. This led to interesting character development and, as an audience member, a genuine investment in the characters and what happens to them. In addition, the actors and actresses playing the kids are largely unknown, which means they gave it their all, and it shows in the quality of performance.

The character of Rita received a drastically needed update, and actually had a backstory that made her a tragic villain. Once a Power Ranger, Rita became consumed with desire for power, and now seeks to gain the power of a crystal that sustains life on Earth. yes, this is a rather ridiculous premise, but it makes more sense than the Allspark in Transformers, so I will let it slide.

The CGI in this picture is beautifully integrated into the reality. I was very impressed by the integrations of Goldar, Rita's creation to extract the crystal, and the zords. These effects flowed and felt very real, making for a fantastic climax fight. I also have to give a shout out to the Megazord, as it looked impressive as a massive robot, but had a design that made it unique from the giant robots of Real Steel, Transformers, Pacific Rim, and every other giant robot film in history. And again, the Megazord didn't just happen easily, but formed out of the bond of the group.

While the film does have a few cheesy moments, the film as a whole has something everybody can enjoy, whether you grew up with the original show or not. This is a hard feat to accomlish, but this film has done it.

If you can get to the theater and see it, it's an interesting film that may make you interested in the series as a whole. I know I am interested in watching more.

Let me know what you though of The Power Rangers in the comments below. Did you grow up with the series? If so, what did you think of the film?

Click here to pre-order the film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Jedi Feels Disconnected From the Force

*This review contains Major Spoilers for Star Wars: The Last Jedi I remember watching the closing moments of The Force Awakens, and I was really hyped for the next installment, as Luke was going to return to the screen. The trailer's foreboding dialogue had me intrigued by the thought of where they might be going... Would Rey turn to the dark side?... Has Luke turned dark?... Who is Snook, and how does he fit in the the overall story? And then I saw this film... And it wasn't at all what I expected it to be. While the film itself captures the style of the cinematic series, it runs into some significant challenges with its story, and what should have been significant moments got crossed out in favor of a side story that wasn't necessary. This film has too many self-contained stories that don't have much interconnection. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless the side stories take up time that should be given to more prominent problems. I was excited t

Jigsaw: The Piece That Doesn't Fit the Puzzle

*This review will contain spoilers for Jigsaw **This review will discuss scenes of intense fictional violence. Reader discretion advised. Before I actually begin this review, I find it important to note that I, in fact, enjoyed this film. I was super excited to see this franchise return, and it was a good journey. With that being said, there are definitely major issues with this film. And with that, let's begin... Ten years ago, the team behind the Saw franchise disbanded, stating that they would not return to the franchise unless they had a story to tell... Now, they are back to tell the story... That makes absolutely no sense! While the film delivers what Saw fans desire (creatively diabolical games, a creative twist, and a creepy puppet), the film fails to actually do what it wanted to. The film simply fails in following the lore of the franchise. Let me explain... The franchise follows John Kramer, who, after losing his unborn child and being diagnosed with ter

Why "13 Reasons Why" Is Deeper Than Just Suicide

*This article, and the resulting series, will contain spoilers for 13 Reasons Why . **This article, and the resulting series, will discuss topics of Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, and Suicide. Reader Discretion is advised. "Hey. It's Hannah" These were the opening words of the tapes in 13 Reasons Why , which I reviewed last year ( Read the Review ). Many people don't notice an important comment in this intro though: "Don't adjust your radio, or whatever you are hearing this on." This implies that Hannah intended for the tapes to go public. She expected the listeners to fail. Or did she ever want them to remain a secret... I thought about this about a week back, but never had a reason to discuss this idea. Until I saw this on Twitter the other day: This got me thinking again: If the main point was Hannah's ultimate suicide, why would that warrant a second season? Granted, it could be focused on the lawsuits filed by